Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there something I am missing here? Why are you so cheap?
Livetodot is owned and managed by Fubra Limited, a profitable company based in Hampshire, UK. We can sell domain names cheap because we have created as much automation as possible and therefore we can keep our costs down.
We are truly committed to our customers and want to help you in any way we can. The easier it is for you to register and use Livetodot the more sales we will make.
We believe in starting small and growing at a sensible pace. We are an independent company, we have never taken venture capital and we continue to grow because we love what we do.
- What is a domain name?
A domain name is an alias that points to a number (an IP address) that identifies your webserver on the Internet. This number is called an IP Address. People use names because they are easier to remember than numbers.
- What are the benefits of . it over other names?
'It' is one of the most frequently used words in the English language. You can use the word it at the end of your domain name to make a memorable phrase such as:
.it names are marketable and memorable. Best of all, they are still relatively uncommon, so you have a better chance of getting a good one.
- Can anybody register a .it name?
Dot it domains can be registered by companies with a VAT number or private individuals with a National Insurance number. A legal presence in a country that is a member of the European Union is required, so this excludes most US companies and citizens.
- Is it true I can only register one .it name?
- No. There is no limit how many .it domains you can register. In the past, the Italian registry used to limit European private individuals without a VAT number to registering only 1 name, but this was changed in 2007.
- Which characters can I use in my domain name? And are there any restrictions?
The Italian NIC has imposed some restrictions on the names you can register.
- Between 3 and 63 characters (excluding the extension)
- Only these characters are allowed: letters a-z, numbers 0-9 and hyphen -.
- Your name cannot start with - nor can it end with -.
-meto.it is not valid
gofor-.it is not valid
e-fly.it is valid.
- How long does it take to register a .it name?
From January 2011, Livetodot became an accredited Registrar of the Italian Registry and can now manage .it domains in synchronous mode, which means that domain names are registered in real time, without any paperwork.
It is no longer necessary to send a Letter of Assumption of Responsibility, known as a LAR, in order to complete the registration of a .it domain name.
- Is there an age restriction?
Minors (under the age of 18) are not allowed to register .it domain names.
- I live in the USA, can I register an Italian name?
No, your business can only register a .it name if you have a presence in the EU that has a VAT number. For example, Hewlett Packard could because they have a presence in Europe, even though they are American. If you need help with this please email .
- I've bought a name, but it still appears to be available. Is there a problem?
There could be a problem, but it is unlikely. If there is a problem, we will email you with the explanation. If you have not received an email from us, please contact and we will investigate the problem immediately.
- Can I pay by cheque or in any other way?
We only accept payment via credit card/debit card.
However, if you are registering lots of domain names, you can become a reseller and can pay by electronic bank transfer or by cheque.
- How do I know when my domain has been registered successfully?
Our system will email you immediately to let you know when your domain registration is complete. You can also check by logging in to Livetodot and looking in My Domains.
- Why is my nameserver update failing?
Due to the complex requirements of the Italian NIC, the name can only be given a new nameserver once the name is registered on the nameserver you wish to transfer it to. This is to ensure that the hosts are always reachable. If your host is not reachable, you can have action taken against you to revoke your name. You need to have an entry on your ISP's nameserver for the name you are trying to transfer, before the transfer will work.
If you are sure you have created a record in your ISP's nameserver for the domain, but the transfer is still failing, email and we will investigate the problem and advise you of what you need to do, so that the change of nameserver can go through.
- Is there any difference between .it domains and the .at.it (.co.it, .is.it, .to.it, etc.) ones?
The .it extension refers to Italy. Each .xx.it extension refers to an Italian province: .co.it is for Como for example. You do not have to reside or operate in that city to register a .xx.it. The .xx.it domains are often used to create marketable names, with a meaning in English. For example:
- I want to direct my .it domain name to my web space. What do I do?
You can forward your domain name to your own webspace and you can also setup email on your domain name.
- Is the Letter of Assumption of Responsibility or LAR mandatory?
No, as an accredited Registrar for the Italian Registry, we can now register .it domains in real time without sending any documentation to the Registry.
- I've registered a .it domain. Can I sell it to another person?
The Italian RA used to prohibit this entirely. However, it is now possible to transfer the ownership of dot it names between people and companies providing the normal Italian registry requirements are met.
You cannot register trademarked names unless you have a right to use that name and have acted in good faith.
- Someone has registered ourtrademark.it. How do we get it back?
We are not lawyers but perhaps we can offer you some guidance. Please contact us.